2014 bball recruits

Discuss future Salukis here!

Moderators: uncledawgpound, fisher08, SiuCubFan8

Re: 2014 bball recruits

Postby Saluki Dave » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:55 am

Carrpediem wrote:
So iLL 24 wrote:Obrien has to get quicker to play the 3. He can run decent in the open court but not laterally especially when defending smaller guys

I would like him to take that 8 footer when he gets the chance; seems like he always try to drive from there.

Seems like that's the way of it in college basketball. Finishing at the rim is way more dramatic than simply taking an efficient 2 when available.
"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." ~A Lincoln~
Saluki Dave
Matt Shaw Poster
Matt Shaw Poster

Postby vnomus2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:07 am

So iLL 24 wrote:Obrien has to get quicker to play the 3. He can run decent in the open court but not laterally especially when defending smaller guys

If we continue to play as much zone as we are, O'Briens lateral quickness is a non issue.....However, if we do get back to playing more man, I feel like at this point Smithpeters is much more of a liability than O'Brien is.
vnomus2
Josh Warren Poster
Josh Warren Poster

Postby SalukiIllini » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:52 am

Saluki Dave wrote:
Carrpediem wrote:

I would like him to take that 8 footer when he gets the chance; seems like he always try to drive from there.

Seems like that's the way of it in college basketball. Finishing at the rim is way more dramatic than simply taking an efficient 2 when available.

That's what made Shaw so good. He had that mid range game down pat!
SalukiIllini
Kent Williams Poster
Kent Williams Poster

Postby uncledawgpound » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:13 am

Being a HS basketball fan and watching 50+ games a year, I've been saying the last 4-5 years that you could take a 15 year old kid, teach him to have a mid-range game and to pull-up instead of driving for and-1 jock shots, and you could turn the kid into a 3-x all-conference player.
A proud supporter of Southern Illinois University and Saluki Athletics since 2002.

"A steal! By Frazier, look out for him!"
uncledawgpound
Site Admin

Postby Saluki Dave » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:27 pm

uncledawgpound wrote:Being a HS basketball fan and watching 50+ games a year, I've been saying the last 4-5 years that you could take a 15 year old kid, teach him to have a mid-range game and to pull-up instead of driving for and-1 jock shots, and you could turn the kid into a 3-x all-conference player.

Don't get me wrong; there's definitely room for taking it all the way home (drawing fouls and just plain intimidation come to mind) but there is an awful lot of risk and wear and tear as well. Some athletes are built for it and excel at it. Others can be more effective playing a smart game. And it's a good idea for everybody every now and then.
"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." ~A Lincoln~
Saluki Dave
Matt Shaw Poster
Matt Shaw Poster

Postby So iLL 24 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:13 pm

vnomus2 wrote:

If we continue to play as much zone as we are, O'Briens lateral quickness is a non issue.....However, if we do get back to playing more man, I feel like at this point Smithpeters is much more of a liability than O'Brien is.

I can agree with this. I don't mind a zone but we also need to be able to matchup with man to man for large periods of time. This may be when we have fletcher and other quicker guys on the floor
So iLL 24
Josh Warren Poster
Josh Warren Poster

Postby underdawg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Saluki Dave wrote:
uncledawgpound wrote:Being a HS basketball fan and watching 50+ games a year, I've been saying the last 4-5 years that you could take a 15 year old kid, teach him to have a mid-range game and to pull-up instead of driving for and-1 jock shots, and you could turn the kid into a 3-x all-conference player.

Don't get me wrong; there's definitely room for taking it all the way home (drawing fouls and just plain intimidation come to mind) but there is an awful lot of risk and wear and tear as well. Some athletes are built for it and excel at it. Others can be more effective playing a smart game. And it's a good idea for everybody every now and then.

I agree with developing the mid-range shot but hasn't Barry emphasized our players getting to the rim so we can shoot more FT?
underdawg
Jamaal Tatum Poster
Jamaal Tatum Poster

Postby Saluki Dave » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:42 pm

underdawg wrote:
Saluki Dave wrote:

I agree with developing the mid-range shot but hasn't Barry emphasized our players getting to the rim so we can shoot more FT?

Given our percentage at the FT line, maybe they should all be 12 footers ;)
Saluki Dave
Matt Shaw Poster
Matt Shaw Poster

Postby salukisrule1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Peyton Allen committed to Texas A&M tonight.
salukisrule1
Matt Shaw Poster
Matt Shaw Poster

Postby KCMSaluki12 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:59 pm

SIU offered Deion Lavender tonight.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. - Mr. Garrison, South Park
KCMSaluki12
Randal Falker Poster
Randal Falker Poster

Postby Saluki Bob » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:49 am

KCMSaluki12 wrote:SIU offered Deion Lavender tonight.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-sch ... b2370.html
Saluki Bob
Randal Falker Poster
Randal Falker Poster

Postby SalukiWorld » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 am

KCMSaluki12 wrote:SIU offered Deion Lavender tonight.

3 star on Rivals, offered by Edwardsville State and Eastern Illinois:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/bwi/basketball/ ... der-157709

http://www.chicagohoops.hoops247.com/in ... -siu-offer
Lavender told us what he likes about Southern Illinois.

“They are young and competing in a tough Missouri Valley Conference.”

What has the Salukis coaching staff told him they like about his game?

“Scoring ability, leadership, poise, and defense.”

His former AAU running mate with the Southwest Jets Armon Fletcher is already part of the SIU 2014 recruiting class.

“Me and Armon are good friends. We play well together. He is a very athletic guy and is capable of knocking down outside shots. He is definitely a tough matchup.
SalukiWorld
Bryan Mullins Poster
Bryan Mullins Poster

Postby DawgFan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:14 am

My guess is we will end up with this kid.

A lot of MVC schools passed, but this is the level of recruiting we are still at.
DawgFan
Matt Shaw Poster
Matt Shaw Poster

Postby siudawgs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:37 am

I also sense SIU has a very good chance with Lavender. He seems to be somewhat of a late bloomer ... maybe that's why he doesn't have more/better offers at this point, but perhaps some metro east peeps can weigh in. Seems like he's having a helluva senior year.
siudawgs
Tony Young Poster
Tony Young Poster

Postby saluki762 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:07 am

DawgFan wrote:but this is the level of recruiting we are still at.

3* rivals is about as good a lever we have ever been at.
You see life is like that. We change, that's all. You see, the guy I am now is not the guy I was then. If the guy I was then met the guy I am now he'd beat the deuce out of me. Those are the facts.
saluki762
Jamaal Tatum Poster
Jamaal Tatum Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting